Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Short Copy Speaks Words

I'm no mathematician, but if it's true that 4 out of 5 people only ever read headlines, then creating an enticing headline is 80% of a copywriter's battle.

While loitering in my street the other day I noticed a shark-suited real estate looking character banging a sign in grass outside a house.

"Open For Inspection"?
"Open House"?

Try "Open Home". Now doesn't that sound so much warmer, fuzzier and appealing to the target market than the usual suspects above?

It made me think about a couple of copywriting lessons that apply to both headlines and bodycopy:

  • Readers may like familiar language (particularly online), but it won't get them excited. As long as you don't get ambiguous, a unique and enticing alternative can make all the difference.
  • A few short words can often express your benefits and entice impatient readers far better than a whole bunch of long ones.

Now if the agent can just do something about that outfit he might really be onto something.

Technorati Tags: , ,

3 comments:

micah.macinc@gmail.com said...

This is really a nice post. Obviously, I'm sure I'd come back here more often. You can also visit my site about home based business. - Aymens of Arbitrage Conspiracy.

micah.macinc@gmail.com said...

This is really a nice post. Obviously, I'm sure I'd come back here more often. You can also visit my site about home based business. - Aymens of Arbitrage Conspiracy.

Shovo said...

ustralian Swingers Contacts is the number 1 swinging resource for Australian Swingers in Australia! Here you can meet, chat, find friends and like minded couples or singles for partner/wife swapping fun. We have been growing fast in the Cities, why not have a look at some of the latest members in these cities Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Townsville, Cairns, Adelaide, Gold Coast, Newcastle, Wollongong, Sunshine Coast, Hobart Geelong.
Join Now Here: http://australianswingerscontacts.com/